Thursday, March 1, 2012

I wonder why?

I have a lot of people in my life...I'm lucky that way. Some of them think that what we are doing here on the farm is amazing but some of them just think we are crazy. I am not able to fully explain why Jim and I continue to put ourselves in situations that do NOT point in the direction of empty nest or retirement.

What I can tell you is this, the other day Damion told me he was going to head up to the pig pen and have a staff meeting with the pigs! I'm not sure what went on at a staff meeting between a 10 year old boy with developmental disabilities and a couple of pigs, but I am pretty sure it was amazing!

A couple of days later on Presidents Day we all had the day off and were working outside, not one of us complaining about what had to be done. I know it's a mild year but I have never know what sunshine February brings until we moved here. Even on the coldest days it's glorious! We had let the goats out to graze since they are harmless and dont go to far, recognizing that food comes everyday at about 5. Teddy (the horse) was not happy that his housemates were free and he was not. We decided to let him go run even though we don't have the upper pasture fenced in yet. He bolted up the hill and bucked and jumped, happier than we had seen him since the day he came here. It was one of the most exhilarating things to watch, even Jim who plays his emotions pretty close to the cuff was amazed.

Those little things capture the vision we have for our farm. They don't happen everyday but when they do we know why we're here. We want others to come and feel that even on the smallest scale because it matters. You might not want to go to the staff meeting with Damion but maybe you'll want to sit in the field and let the sun shine on you and you'll understand what I mean.

1 comment:

  1. You make a strong argument for why you and Jim have gone off the deep end of the pool just diving in and getting deeper and deeper in responsibility. I cant wait to come up their and enjoy your farm in the summer and try out some ma sunshine love you guy's

    ReplyDelete